Thursday, July 28, 2011

Norwegian Cruise Line


Hi Everyone!

I am a first time blogger and am really excited to be part of a collective that my good friend has started through her eco-friendly greeting card business, New Pulp.

My name is Irene, I just graduated from Ryerson University in Fall 2010, and I am a costume technician. Back in February, I was offered a 2 day job as a dresser with The Capitol Theatre in Chatham, ON working on the musical CATS. I wasn't sure if I was going to take the job for the reason that I would be spending more money than I was going to receive. But having thought it through and talking to family and friends, I decided to take the job for experience only since I had no professtional jobs coming out of university. And boy I am glad I did!

While I was working on this gig, I started chatting with the CATS touring company's Wardrobe Supervisor, Gillian, and she mentioned that she had worked for Norwegian Cruise Line for 2 years. Now I had been doing research on cruise liners throughout my 2nd year of university hoping that I would someday work as a costume technician, however, heard that it was very difficult to get on one by yourself and especially in the entertainment department. So once Gillian mentioned Norwegian Cruise Line, my eyes lit up and I started asking questions. After asking the basics like what is ship life like and is the food good?, she saw the excitement in my facial expression, and offered me direct contact to the Wardrobe Manager of Norwegian Cruise Line (the person who puts people on the ships to work). Gillian gave me an AMAZING recommendation and I got an interview. One and a half hours later, I got my first contract with NCL!!!

So here I am! Ready to embark on three upcoming contracts; 2 - 2 week contracts and 1 - 6 month contract starting October 29th. I will be posting pictures, videos, and keeping you posted on what ship life is like, the good and the bad.

Coming up...
Taking a look back at my first contract on the Norwegian Star!

No comments:

Post a Comment