Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Skin of Our Teeth

Hello from Hong Kong!

This is my first post here, and am really excited to talk about the show I designed for in Hong Kong. The play is called The Skin of Our Teeth, and is a play that was written originally by Thornton Wilder back in 1942. The play itself is quite abstract, in a sense that it jumps back and forth between present time back to cavemen era and back.
So the one that was done in Hong Kong was basically adapted from it and the director made it set in present time Hong Kong for Act I, then to the early 1900's of Shanghai in Act II and finally ending the play in the 1930's WWII era in Shanghai. The story itself revolves around the Antrobus' and all the dysfunctional happenings that go in between the relationships in the family. And through these events, it tries to tell the audience the truth about mankind and that a lot of screw ups, mishaps and catastrophes of the world stem from us, and in the end it'll all repeat itself so long as the existence of human beings. It also talks about how arts and literature in society help improve ourselves as people and teach us love and what not; whereas technology sometimes, can actually backfire on us.

It was rather interesting for me when I designed these costumes because I had so much interest in clothing from that era, especially in Shanghai. Here are some photos from the play: (these photos are taken by the AFTEC and I don't own any of them)








My bio!


annnd I've recently just updated a new make up tutorial on Tinkerbell that was from another show I did back in June please visit Mmmhmm That's what she said .

No comments:

Post a Comment