Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Interview with Natalie Bradshaw, Toronto Stylist

Natalie Bradshaw is an up and coming stylist working in Toronto. She has a few projects coming up, and recently had a spread of her own in Magpie Darling magazine - check out Issue 5 here, photos from the shoot are below!


When did you first start styling?
I started styling 2 years ago, after I interned for a design company called Snoflake. On their Fall/Winter Photoshoot I met stylist Christine Viera, realized how much I loved styling and started assisting her shortly after that.

What would you say your personal style is, and what are your sources of inspiration?
I would say my style is 80s Western Grit. I love westerns, they always inspire me. Also Grace Jones inspires my diva side.

How do you get yourself prepared for a spread, like the one in Magpie Darling?
To prepare for a spread, I really get to know the theme/character/trend then pull it back to a less obvious notch when I pull my pieces. I don't like trends or concepts being too obvious.

How important is it to develop your own image- is it better to be a more versatile stylist in the industry, or one that has a reputation for certain looks?
You should always know your own style and never settle below that, but you always have to think outside the box and be versatile. I never want to be limited to a certain reputation.

What would your dream project be to work on and style for?
I have no idea what my dream project would be. Anything that is delightfully tacky and bold and sexy.... would have loved to style Beyonce in Dazed and confused, 'the Simple Life' - so fucking awesome. I love how American tackiness is becoming a hot topic.

Do you think there is a growing trend to use second-hand clothes and vintage pieces in everyday wear?
Vintage shopping is definitely taking over as it should, why make more things when we can re-use something that someone has previously loved?

Where do you see yourself going in your career as a stylist, and in the fashion industry?
I hope to get back into designing soon, but to also keep with styling. I just love creating stories with people


Photographer: Natalia Borecka
Makeup: Marta Koloszyc
Hair: Irina Lavrega
Model: Aleksandra at Elmer Olsen Model Management
Wardrobe: Natalie Bradshaw




No comments:

Post a Comment